The Vanguard was a holiness journal published by C.W. Sherman and the Vanguard Mission of St. Louis, Missouri. It began publishing about 1889 and ceased publication in 1925. Materials from this journal are rare since about 1918 the mission's headquarters at the Marvin Campgrounds was taken over by a group of Pentecostals and all back issues were destroyed. C.W. Sherman also published an Indian version of the paper from their holiness mission work in India, but no known copies of these remain. Sherman's work was tied to the Pentecost Bands and the work of the Free Methodist Church in their later years.
See the Aims and Scope for a complete coverage of the journal.